Fabric R&D Manager
Piece & Co. seeks a Fabric R&D Manager to manage our global textile supply chain operations.
Piece & Co. launched in 2011 with a mission to bring artisan-made textiles to the forefront of the fashion industry. Our design company has developed beautiful and innovative textiles for leading global fashion brands such as Tory Burch, Nike, Opening Ceremony, Diane von Furstenberg, and many others.
We believe that good design is good for the world and are committed to finding, training and cultivating artisan cooperatives that support and empower women around the globe. Our supply chain is unique in the industry and we work with more than 40 cooperatives across 13 countries. Our focus is on building lasting relationships with both our customers and our artisans to ensure sustainability for all our stakeholders.
This is an exciting time for Piece & Co. as we are expanding our team and broadening our market reach. If you are a highly driven, self-directed, entrepreneurial person who wants to help shape the future of design Piece & Co. offers a unique opportunity.
Piece & Co. is looking an extremely detail-oriented Fabric R&D Manager who will work for the Director of Textile Development. You should have a high technical knowledge of woven and knit fabrics, be organized to a fault, love databases, and be a strong communicator with global partners. If this sounds like you Piece & Co. offers a chance to play a foundational role in the growing market for ethical fashion.
This position provides the opportunity to build process nearly from scratch. We want data junkies and problem-solvers who relish the opportunity to improve the systems that can help our business grow.
- TAC tracker and follow up - own the on-time delivery of all developments, sample orders and bulk orders for Piece & Co collection and customers.
- Own and manage all supply chain communications between team members and the customer.
- Strategic and problem-solving approach to supply chain operations – keep us customer-focused by developing innovative and resourceful solutions to operational challenges.
- Manage day-to-day mill relationships and track raw material vendor matrix (organization and inventory). Negotiate prices and find import and export solutions within supply chain regions.
- Maintain all fabric development information and keep development books updated with FIS, references and dates. Record and track all developments from sample to bulk.
- Manage tracking budget for customer development and collection.
- Manage receipt of all developments and provide bulk standard approvals where obvious, highlight problematic issues to textile director with solutions in mind.
- Maintain fabric library for collection, customer developments, and all corresponding artwork.
- Log learning from seasonal collections and customer developments.
- Assist in fabric R&D strategy.
- Assist in design allocation within global artisan network.
- 5+ years experience working in textiles either for a mill or contemporary and/or luxury brands.
- Outstanding verbal (phone and in-person) and written communication skills, including presentations to larger team.
- Comfort speaking with a global and culturally diverse team at appropriate (often at off hours).
- Strong numeracy and IT skills (e.g., Excel), and a high degree of skill using ERP and CRM database tools.
- Excellent communication & negotiation skills.
- Ability to prioritize work under pressure.
- Possess ability to assess situations and solve for underlying issues and inefficiencies.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented, dynamic start-up environment that provides limited structure but lots of opportunity.
- Passion for our mission to empower women artisans globally.
- No jerks ☺
Base salary & benefits.
Position is based in NYC and there may be the occasional travel outside the City.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org that gives us a sense of who you are as a person and what interests you about this job. Please also provide 1-2 examples of how you showed initiative in problem solving/ innovative planning to streamline communication. Additionally, provide two (2) examples of Raw Material sources for a range of yarns and pfp base qualities that you have worked with, and explain why you think these sources qualify as strong partners.